"some of the sound clips don't work"
- john woo
"This is an amazing site and it gets me extremely anxious for plebe summer to get under way. I think each picture really captured the emotions of the plebes. Thanks for going above and beyond."
- Carly Promersberger firstname.lastname@example.org Soon-to-be-plebe Class of '05 , Brookfield, WI
"Everytime I look at these pictures I become even more motivated than I already am. I can't wait to report on my Induction Day this June. This website serves as a great source information and inspiration. I feel honored to have been accepted to such a great institution, but at the same time I am ready to take my place amoung great Naval leaders. Thanks for the insight that was provided by this site. Although some people would back away from the pressure and adversity that many plebes face,I, on the other hand, look forward to the challenges I will be confronted with. Call me sick, but I thrive in that environment."
- Jonathan Lushenko j_Lushenko@yahoo.com Senior North Salem High School/USNA Class of 2005 , Salem, Oregon, United States
"Looking back at the photojournal of my plebe summer, I can remember many occasions when, being screamed at by upperclassmen, I would notice Pete in the background and think, "Well, maybe they'll be easier on us with that photographer here!" No such luck, of course. I chose to leave Annapolis after two years, but am proud of what I and my classmates accomplished there. These pictures of Kilo's six weeks by the Bay are a wonderful reminder of the good, the bad, and the ugly of a life lived in the arena. And to all those who think that USNA is in the business of brutish, imperialist brainwashing, know this: first, even after our garduation, I have never known anybody as strong-willed, independent, and conscientious as my classmates in 2000; and second, as a student in a "progressive" Ivy League university, I can tell you that every well-intending institution has a guiding "flavor" all its own, to be passed on by succeeding classes and challenged by outsiders. But none of these places makes us who we are - they simply teach us what we are capable of doing and feeling. And I am proudest of doing the things and feeling the feelings that all Naval Academy alums achieve. Thanks, Pete S., for your gift of memory."
- Adam Weinstein email@example.com Student/Member, Kilo Company, C/O 2000 , NY, NY
"Amazing photos, to say the least. I'm class of '00 myself, (though not at Navy)and during college I got to know several people featured in those photos through sports. It was very interesting to "live" what they had to go through, long before I knew them."
Thoroughbred1218@aol.com , NY, NY USA
"After attending the United States Naval Academy Summer Seminar Session One, June 3-8 2000, I had some grasp of what "plebe summer" presents to an individual. I had an opprotunity most high school juniors and rising seniors can never imagine and that was experiencing a night such as a plebe would undergo at the Academy. It was called a "Mock Plebe Indoctrination" but my squad leader and every other midshipmen refered to it as "Hell Night". One can only imagine what types of exercises and physical activities the upperclass midshipmen can create and I soon began to realize the determination, desire, and dedication all plebes need to overcome this great challenge. I have to admitt this was an eye-opening experience and would like to add that this site provides great honesty to what a plebe experiences! "
- Paul Lushenko firstname.lastname@example.org Offical Candidate to USNA/High School Student , Salem, OR, USA
" As a Candidate to the Naval Academy and recent invite to the Naval Academy Summer Seminar I am constantly tring to find new information and and photographs on plebe summer and the whole "Naval Academy Experience." Not only did the story provide great detail and insight to Naval Academy life, but it also provided a sense of pride. I was fortunate enough to experience a night of what plebes go through,at the Naval Academy Summer Seminar. With the experiences that I had I now know that the Naval Academy is the Place For Me! I hope this story and pictures included will help someone of the verge of the biggest decision of the life! Thank You! "
- Jonathan Lushenko j_Lushenko@yahoo.com Candidate to the Naval Academy/Senior North Salem High School , Salem, Oregon, United States
"We sponsor plebes from the Naval Academy. This site really allows outsiders to get an insiders view on what "plebe summer" is all about."
- Carrie email@example.com student , sailsbury, md
"I am a high school student planning on attending the Naval Academy, and I must say that I expected the hardships, and i praise your site for its truthfulness. I hope it will stay on the web for a long time."
- Nicholas firstname.lastname@example.org High School Student , Puyallup, Wa, US
"This story was wonderful! It was recommended by the USNA list I am a member of. It tells and shows us what it is like down there during plebe summer. Thank you for showing us what it was like. I hope you do another story at USNA soon! :-)"
- Heather Mock email@example.com Senior in high school , Warren, Pennsylvania, USA
"To Whom It May Concern:
I was shocked when I read your story on the Naval Academy . It attempted to make the induction of youth into the military seem like a tough boy scout camp. I am very close to a bright young man who has spent the last three and a half years at USNA. He has consistantly described plebe summer and the academy as a whole in terms of the ritualistic brainwashing, hazing, homophobia, and violence that occurs there. It is not about developing a personality or growing into adulthood. It is about learning to conform to military standards and sacrifice your life for American business interests. The USNA should be carefully inspected by journalists who are able to see through the gloss and into reality. Your story could have been informative but instead it looks like a brochure for USNA. I would suggest you go back and speak with midshipmen who haven't been preselected and threatened in order to ensure their positive commentary. Thanks."
- Jennifer L. Copher firstname.lastname@example.org Senior at Bates College , Stow, MA USA
"I really really enjoyed reading the comments and viewing the pictures of the experiences endured during Plebe summer. I find out within the next month or so as to whether or not i will be reliving many of those same experiences that you captured. Once again, thank you for capturing a side of the USNA that is often left out of brochures and especially out of my candidate packet!"
- Ahnna Smith email@example.com candidate for the USNA , Poolesville, MD USA
"Looking forward to our grandson progressing through the Naval Academy"
- Betty Knickerbocker firstname.lastname@example.org office acctg,mother of 5,Grams of plebe 2003 , Ventura, Ca. USA
"Your story was recommended to me by my sister, whose son (my nephew) is beginning his years at USNA. Highly impressed with the entire art direction of the site. Looks like I've FINALLY found a site that deserves to be "bookmarked". Well done."
- Katherine email@example.com Graphic Design , Bellevue,WA USA
"I thought that these photographs were exceptionally moving. I laughed and cried as I looked at them and read the comments. Of course, I have a deeper connection to them, perhaps, because my boyfriend is at Plebe Summer as I write this. These photographs made me feel an emotional connection with him. Although I'm not there, it makes me feel like I'm at least beginning to understand what he's enduring. Thank you so much!"
- Annie Student , USA
"These photos are incredibly powerful to see! A picture is indeed worth a thousand words..."
- Lyn Britt firstname.lastname@example.org Teacher/Plebe Mom 2003 , Huntington Beach, CA
"It was great to see Tajsha working hard."
- Marge Scanlon mscanlon_98 teacher , Avondale,AZ USA
"wow. that is really a great package. very inspirational. i hope to see it in print somewhere soon."
- david holloway email@example.com photojournalist , washington, dc, usa
"I enjoyed looking at the photos of the Naval Academy. I have watched movies on the academy, but I enjoyed reading the quotes from actual cadets. It gives me something to lookforward to."
- Amy Sibert Coasty410@hotmail.com High School Student , Miami, FL USA
"One of the great things about Journal E is that you can come back again and again over time and always find something new and involving. I viewed "Non-stop Sweat" on a Sunday morning as I was contemplating the seemingly huge array of tasks before me on a day when I would rather be taking it easy. Not only did the story inspire me to tackle everything I had to, but I was also moved and inspired by the whole experience - plebe summer, the discipline, the growth, the pride, the challenges."
- Jan Stoltman firstname.lastname@example.org Writer/Business & Personal Coach , New York, N.Y.
"Very nice documentary work. Some wonderful, storytelling moments... I feel like I was there myself. The audio clips are a very nice supplement."
- Patrick DOwns email@example.com Phtoographer/Picture Editor , CA
"My dream is to become a Naval Aviator, a fighter pilot. To become a pilot I want to go through the Naval Academy to receive my officer training. This is becasue I also want to be an Admiral. All I ever think about is the Academy and what I have to do to get there. Your pictures allowed my to get a little closer to my dreams. Sir, thank you sir.
- Coady MiGkiller91@hotmail.com High School Student , Northern California, (close to Orgen
"I saw those photographs in person last summer. VERY impressive, and was surprised as hell to see them online at your site. Keep up the great work, it's always a pleasure visiting journale.com!"
- Glen Price firstname.lastname@example.org graphics designer , baltimore, Maryland
"THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO GO TO PLEBE SUMMER AND DOCUMENT THIS EVENT. I JUST GOT MY FIRST CALL FROM MY SON WHO IS A PLEBE. IT IS SUCH A ROUGH DAY FOR ME BECAUSE HE CRIED WHEN HE HEARD MY VOICE AND THAT IS SO UNLIKE HIM. ALTHOUGH I HAD BEEN FEELING SO GOOD BECAUSE HE IS SQUAD LEADER AND SEEMED (IN HIS LETTERS) TO BE DOING SO WELL, HIS HOARSE VOICE AND TEARS REALLY MADE ME FEEL DOWN. I DO... AND DON'T... UNDERSTAND WHY THEY HAVE TO GO THROUGH THAT SH--. I KNOW HE WILL BE A BETTER PERSON FOR IT. SO I JUST SAT AND LOOKED AT THE PICTURES AND LISTENED TO THE AUDIOS (SOME WORKED, SOME DIDN'T), AND CRIED AND CRIED, UNTIL I COULDN'T CRY ANY MORE. THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS. IT IS DEFINITELY WORTHWHILE WORK!
- DEE ROMBERGER DAR.WILLOW@JUNO.COM LEGAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT , STATE COLLEGE PA USA
"The pictures are really cool. Can you guys tell me all the graet stuff about the Naval Academy, recent events and so on"
- Helena Villa Zapata187@yahoo.com Student , Los Angeles, CA USA
"Great page! Over plebe summer I heard about kilo company being followed through the summer. It was a good recap of what we went through. Class of 2000"
- Nichole Brown email@example.com Midshipman USNA , Tacoma, Washington, USA
"This was an amazingly inspirational story that you did on the Naval Academy. Wow. What great pictures. Thanks."
- Todd K firstname.lastname@example.org Photojournalism Major in College , Dewitt, NY
"Your story brought back many memories from surviving the USNA years. It was well done and hopefully will give people who have no connection to the academy an idea of what it is like.
Congrats on a nice job
- Sue Saalau- Bethell ssb25133 Research Scientist/Graduate USNA '85 , Letchworth, Herts. UK
"I've always wanted to do this story myself. Now, I might do it differently, but I wouldn't do any better. Makes me remember myself as a Plebe, and again as a "Detail-er". Proud of the Academy for allowing an opportunity for this great work, and proud of my current profession. I fly the Navy code flags which signal congratulations- "Bravo Zulu"."
- Rich Webster email@example.com Photgrapher...USNA'85 , Alexandria, VA USA
"I enjoy your information and am extremely interested since my son is in the U.S Navy."
- Alex Wilson http://www.macmillan.com. Lawyer , Johanesburg, Transvaal, South Africa
"Adam, I finally had a minute to check out your journal. It is really impressive. I was exhausted just reading about the Naval Academy training. It's amazing to me the quality of reproduction you can reach on the internet. What can I say, I'm not extremely technical. It still wows me. Anyway, I have set a bookmark and will continue to read your journal. I'll also spread the word.
- Rena De-Levie firstname.lastname@example.org Graphic design/production , NYC, NY, USA
"Very good page. I enjoyed the great pictures as well as the cationns."
- David Peno email@example.com , Centreville, VA USA
"WHAT A HANDSOME GUY ON THE COVER PHOTO! WE MUST BE IN GOOD HANDS!"
- J. JONES ART REP , ATLANTA, GA.
"Great pictures, great web design."
- Bill Luster firstname.lastname@example.org picture editor , Louisville, Ky.
"I loved every picture. What a wonderful job Pete!!"
- Dona Lee email@example.com Naval Engineer , Alexandria, VA
"Super photos, I hope kilo company all graduate successfully.
It makes me glad that my basic training lasted only a few months - I could not imagine four years!"
- Rachael Ambrose firstname.lastname@example.org Formerly a Naval officer, now a medical school student , London, England